Today the federal Bureau of Ocean Energy Management released its final 2017-2022 offshore oil and gas leasing program, which includes no plans for lease sales in the Arctic Ocean.
[ A warning for Donald Trump: Gutting the EPA would be harder – and more perilous – than you think ]
Thank you to the tens of thousands of you who responded to our requests to sign your name to a letter urging the administration to take this step. This is your victory!
Yesterday, the United States Senate approved H.R. 845, the National Forest System Trails Stewardship Act by Representatives Cynthia Lummis (R-WY) and Tim Walz (D-MN).
[ A win for precious Colorado landscapes: Oil and gas leases cancelled in Thompson Divide, Roan Plateau ]
The Bureau of Land Management announced its final decision to cancel illegally issued drilling leases in Colorado’s Thompson Divide and protect much of Roan Plateau from new leases.
Trump has picked a leading climate denier, Myron Ebell, to lead the transition team at the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Ebell is also said to be in contention to head the agency itself. On the campaign trail, Trump said he may “cut” the EPA, but giving Ebell any authority over it may be just as bad.
Yesterday, the Obama Administration acted to protect the health and environment of communities living near coal mining operations and the fish, wildlife, and streams they rely on by issuing its environmental analysis ahead of the Stream Protection Rule.
2016 Environmental Wins
EarthShare’s 600 member organizations are working every day to protect wildlife, fight climate change, and build healthy communities in the US and around the world. In fact, you will find our members behind some of the biggest environmental victories of the past year.
We need your help to keep up the fight for a healthy future. Please make a tax-deductible year-end gift today to support the work ahead of us in 2017.
Supporters like you made many accomplishments possible in 2016. Here is a sampling:
- Across the globe, helped put more than 121 million acres of farms and forestland under sustainable management and trained more than 1.3 million people in sustainable land management (Rainforest Alliance).
- Supported the rescue/relocation of countless animals, including two lionesses from a circus in Germany, two pangolins in Zimbabwe, three cheetah cubs from illegal pet trade Ethiopia, 28 cockatiels from a home in Michigan, two lions in Bulgaria, and 2 vervet monkeys rescued from the pet trade (Born Free).
- Worked to elevate the youth voice throughout the Paris Climate Agreement process, and sent two young people to the UN Paris Climate Change Agreement Ratification Ceremony, where they served as representatives of youth around the world taking action on climate change along with Presidents, Prime Ministers, and other world leaders (Alliance for Climate Education).
- Restored and protected 150,000 acres of US pollinator habitat, and assisted cattle, orchard, vegetable farmers across the US with comprehensive farm conservation plans(Xerces Society).
- Facilitated hands-on programs about local ecosystems and stewardship for 1,124 elementary students from the Baltimore area (National Aquarium in Baltimore).
- Planted 13,360 trees in the Chesapeake Bay restoration project, part of the Pennsylvania Watershed Restoration Program. The newly planted streamside forests will filter pollution, stabilize stream banks, and provide habitat (Arbor Day Foundation).
- Partnered with child care professionals to eliminate or reduce environmental health hazards found within child care facilities. Child care facilities qualify for the Eco-Healthy Child Care® endorsement by complying with free or low-cost environmental health best practices that immediately benefit the well-being of young children (Children’s Environmental Health Network).
- Partnered with the Cornell Lab of Ornithology to create a unique raptor identification guide app that includes overviews, photo galleries, range maps, and flight behavior videos with voice-overs (HawkWatch International).
- Started the Southeastern Water Supply Security and Sustainability project to create a stronger and more effective voice for healthy flows in rivers throughout this region. The Southeastern US, historically an area of relative water abundance, has experienced rapid expansion of water stress over the past ten years (River Network).
- Worked with the Save San Onofre Coalition to win an 11 year fight against a toll road that was proposed to cut through San Onofre State Beach, irreparably harming the park and surrounding watershed (Surfrider Foundation).
- Partnered with the Nepal government to support their anti-poaching initiatives that have led to a third year of zero rhinos and elephant poaching. Nepal hosted the Towards Zero Poaching in Asia symposium where leaders from 13 Asian countries unanimously agreed to launch a regional response to advance zero poaching across Asia (World Wildlife Fund).
These victories for our air, land, water and wildlife would not be possible without donor support. We need you on Team EarthShare to fuel our members for the conservation work ahead of us in 2017. Use your tax-deductible contribution to protect the people and planet you love.