You may have heard that “going green” only works when there’s “green” (as in cash) behind it.
We’d like to introduce you to an agency does that. The Global Environment Facility is a catalyst for action on the environment. Through its strategic investments, the GEF works with partners to tackle the planet’s biggest environmental issues.
The Global Environment Facility is a unique partnership of 18 agencies, including United Nations agencies, multilateral development banks, national entities and international NGOs — working with 183 countries to address the world’s most challenging environmental issues.
Over the past 25 years, the GEF has supported a range of notable achievements:
- Creation of more than 3,300 protected areas covering 860 million hectares, an area larger than Brazil.
- Conservation-friendly management of more than 352 million hectares of productive landscapes and seascapes
- 790 climate change mitigation projects contributing to 2.7 billion tons of GHG emission reductions.
- Sustainable management of 34 transboundary river basins in 73 countries.
- Improved cooperation and governance of one-third of the world’s large marine ecosystems.
- Sound management and disposal of 200,000 tons of highly toxic Persistent Organic Pollutants.
- Climate change adaptation to reduce the vulnerability of more than 15 million people in 130 countries.
Get more information at https://www.thegef.org